Friday, November 23, 2012

Going Home....

Wednesday afternoon, November 7, I stepped out of the front door of the rehab hospital using my walker. I would only step back inside this facility again as a visitor. And, that may happen sooner than anyone might think.

I spent 2 weeks and 2 days at Newport Beach Nursing and Rehabilitation in intense physical and occupational therapy. I went through therapy before in 2008 when I had my first hip surgery. That was when I was in Tustin Rehab. I thought that time of therapy was tough when I had one bad leg to work through, an internal prosthetic device and was missing a part of my right pelvis. But, this time I did not have a good "leg to stand on." So, needless to say, this time of therapy was a great challenge for me.

I wasn't really prepared for therapy to be as hard as it was this time. But, with a great deal of tenacity and a deep desire to get out of being in a hospital, I worked harder than most of the residents around me. Granted, I was half the age of most of them. But, I had a lot at stake here. And I felt compelled to leave as soon as I could.

The day before I was to leave rehab, the therapist had me run through a series of "test" exercises to see if I really was ready to go home. One of the exercises was the staircase. I had to walk up and back down the four steps to the satisfaction of the therapist. I not only performed this test with a great deal of ease, I did it without the aid of my walker, crutches or even a cane. When asked if I passed the test, the therapist said "You passed with an A++!"

I couldn't ask for more than that.

With every test I was given, I passed. I felt strong and was confident I was ready to go home from rehab the next day. I also found out the secret of the therapists when they know someone is going home. They push them twice as hard to make sure they are truly ready. My passing every test was proof I was ready for my exit.

So Wednesday, I said all my goodbye's to the therapists before I walked out, and promised to come back to show them my progress soon. It was a great feeling to be saying goodbye. I was ready to move on. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I was glad to have a bedroom to my self again with more channels on the tv than I would ever watch. I would be ever grateful for no one walking into my room at all hours of the night allowing hallway lights to shine directly into my eyes.

Oh to be home...

2 days following my exit from Newport rehab, my grandma was admitted. She also had a hip replacement by my surgeon, Dr. Femino, at City of Hope. And, this facility is so close to her home it was only right for her to become a resident as well. I just got them warmed up for you grandma. Now they will take good care of you and get you back to walking well again.

Next..."More of the Same."



No comments:

Post a Comment