Monday, May 20, 2013

Phototherapy

For several months of my recovery in 2010, I was fairly depressed from having to give up my job because of my medical leave. Then there was one day where I picked up my point and shoot digital camera and walked outside in both the front and backyard. I really didn't know why I was doing it, but I couldn't stand being cooped up in the house feeling useless.

I began to take pictures of random things like trees, flowers, the backyard landscape, blades of grass, etc. I ventured to our next door neighbors house and saw their Fourth of July rose bush lining the front porch walkway. I decided to take a couple of photos of the roses because I love roses and these were so different from ones I had seen. To my surprise, there was a bee pollenating in those roses. I had captured that bee in several of those photos. It was so much fun when I went back and downloaded the photos on my computer and went through them. I found that it invigorated me.

Since then, I have continued to take photo's everywhere I go. It has been something that I could look forward to each weekend after a long week of appointments and errands. Mom would drive me all around Southern California to just take pictures of random things. My family was happy to see me so excited about taking pictures, they would do anything to keep me in that place of joy after being so depressed during this time.

I find beauty in the things that God has created. And, in looking for those things to photograph and gazing upon them when downloaded, I found my life was more than what I did as a job. I was more than my 8-5 existence. I was truly grateful to the Lord for showing me that through photography.

For those of you who may be struggling with feelings of uselessness, depression or even anger at your circumstances, find something that gives you great joy in this life and go and do that over and over again. After a little while you will find yourself so focused on that which makes you happy that you have forgotten about the things that brought you down.

Below, I have included several of my favorite photo's from my journey. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a difference this little hobby has made to my emotional state.

Next..."Released"

Reflection:
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

Question:
What hobby makes you really happy? Share it here and share how it has helped you out of depression or feeling bad about your circumstance.

Laguna Beach, CA
Peacock in Arcadia, CA


Point Fermin Lighthouse, San Pedro, CA
Hale Napili Landscape Flowers
Napili, Maui, HI


Hibiscus, Napili, Maui, HI
Newport Beach, CA


Laguna Beach, CA
Laguna Beach, CA


Laguna Beach, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment